Snow day number 5. It’s white, it’s deep and it’s cold. Ok guys, this calls for a soup kinda meal to warm us up. This is the only way to battle Mother Nature, find joy in our kitchens.
Around here, we don’t have any good Italian restaurants. Maybe that’s why when I come across an Italian recipe, even a soup, my guys are chomping at the bit for it, literally!
As usual, this recipe can be tweaked to be low carb! Add some extra zucchini and don’t bother with those lasagne noodles of your watching your carbs. For this one, because the guys love their carbs, I opted for both zucchini and noodles and just removed the noodles from my bowl. Well most of them.
Altogether, you need about three hours of cooking time for this recipe. You can do it in the crock pot all day if you want, and low for 8 hours will work out just fine. We are going to make this in my Dutch oven, because I love love it and I have nothing but time today.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 5 sliced Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 2 TBS Italian Seasoning
- 2 TBS oregano
- 1 Basil leaf
- 2 TBS Garlic Salt
- 7 C chicken broth
- 1 med zucchini sliced 1/4 in thick
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 9 lasagne noodles broken into 1 inch pieces
- 7 ounce ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan
- In dutch oven, cook sausage until done. Move to bowl and set aside.
- In still hot Dutch oven add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Cook until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add back the sausage. Add spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, mushrooms and seasoning. Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add noodles and stir. Place lid back on pot and continue to simmer.
- After about 30 min, add zucchini and spinach. Place lid on pot and simmer 30 more minutes.
- While your soup is finishing up. Combine cheeses together in bowl.
- When your pasta is cooked, remove from heat. Ladle the soup into a bowl. Put a dollop (heaping tablespoon or two) of cheese into your soup and enjoy!
- If you have any leftovers (good luck,) they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.