Warm up from the inside out with this hearty Italian gem. Nothing says love quite like the flavors in this savory stew.
I like to use Italian sausage links. I squeeze the sausage out of the casing in small balls. You don’t have to do this step and can just slice the links into bite size pieces. I am just not a fan of the casing. Most importantly, be sure to use Italian sausage! If you like things a little spicier you may choose to go with the spicy version of Italian sausage.
If you want more veggies, celery and green peppers can be added. I love a recipe that has flexibility to add things our family likes. Let’s make some soup!
- 2 packages Italian Sausage links (slice into bite size pieces)
- One yellow onion diced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 2 TBS Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 115 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 C roasted red peppers chopped
- 3/5 cup Orzo pasta
- 1 15 ounce can white beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- In large skillet cook sausage until done. Move to crockpot.
- In same skillet cook onions, carrots, garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth over mixture and stir. Bring to a boil and scrape up any cooked on revenants from bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and transfer to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients except beans, pasta and spinach.
- Cook on low for 6-8’hours. 30 min prior to eating add beans, pasta and spinach. Add salt as needed. Stir and put on high for 15 minutes.
- Shut off crock pot and let set for 15 mon as this soup is very hot. Serve with your favorite Italian bread.